The new mobile app Fire Weather Alert System (FWAS) has just been released. FWAS is designed to alert on-the-ground firefighters to dangerous weather conditions approaching their area and allow easy access to fire weather information on your mobile device.
Here are a few things you can do with the FWAS:
- Get alerts when the wind speed, temperature, or relative humidity exceeds values you've set in the app.
- Get alerts when NWS Warnings Watches and Advisories are issued.
- View RAWS stations and data in an interactive map.
- See fire weather zone boundaries and labels and access fire weather zone forecasts.
- See the latest VIIRS/MODIS hot spots and fire perimeters.
Check out the quick start guide for a brief overview and tour of the app. And this is just the start... there are plans to incorporate lots of features and data into the app. The next release will include alerts based on lightning and access to real-time lightning data in the map interface.
See the project page to learn more about the app and for more details regarding future work.