- Seasonal variations in live fuel composition, flammability and consumption and their contribution to fire behavior
- Ecological disturbance interactions
- Advancements in local, regional, national and global fire danger rating
Matt is an Ecologist in the Fire, Fuel, and Smoke Science Program at the Missoula Fire Sciences Laboratory. Matt's research focuses on improving our understanding of how living plants burn and how live fuel flammability varies both seasonally and inter-annually. This new knowledge will help better inform the next generation of fire behavior and fire danger models.
- SERDP Live Fuels: Linking live fuel chemistry to combustion and consumption.
- SARFIRE: Improving fire potential forecasting capabilities for South America.
- NFDRS: Updating the US National Fire Danger Rating System (NFDRS Version 4.0).